Accepted STS Rework

This suggestion was accepted and has been implemented on the server.

Miiilo

LEGEND
DONOR
Sell-to-Server Rework Suggestion

As many of you know, the current STS is very underwhelming. I am here to suggest a change to the prices that would create a mediocre way of making money other than mining or selling on GTS. Catching Pokémon is a large part of the server and Pixelmon as a whole.

Base price seems to affect the other prices.
For example:

I feel like this part of the system should stay. It makes sense to have the other prices scale with the base price.

Current Prices
To get a better understanding of the system, I have given the current prices below.
*Please note that there are probably a few prices that I am missing.

The current prices for the stats of a Pokémon are:
  • Base Price (Set price): 35 for normal Pokémon of all evolutions, 1550 for ultra beasts, and a mix of 1500, 2500, and 3000 for the legendaries.
  • Legendary: 2000 if the base price is 3000 and 1500 if the base price is 2500 (does not include ultra beasts)
  • Shiny: If legendary and 3000 then 1000, if legendary and 2500 then 750, if ultra beast then 525, and if normal Pokémon then 300.
  • Level: Level 100 is an extra 100 but only for normal Pokémon for some reason. No bonus for any other level.
  • Hidden Ability: 40 for normal Pokémon and 500 for legendaries.
  • IVs: 15 per max IV stat (31) for normal Pokémon, 65 for ultra beasts, 100 for some legendaries, and 150 for the rest.
These prices are definitely too low for the current server economy.

Suggested Change to Prices
What would help the economy by setting new, higher prices for legendaries on GTS would create a valid money-making source. I suggest tripling the legend and ultra beast prices because of the absurdly low current reward for turning them in. If the prices really are based on the Pokémon's base price, then tripling that price for every legend and ultra beast would boost them enough to be semi-viable but still not reach the prices they go for on GTS. Having a higher base price for STS would also give a little more competition between just selling to the server rather than selling to a player. For the normal Pokémon, I believe the base price of 35 should be the most common and least viable Pokémon in the game instead of the current 35 for all non-legend Pokémon. Having the base price scale with rarity and use in battle would make this system so much better. Rarity, usage, and evolution line should all be taken into account when setting a base price for a Pokémon. One last thing would be to add a bonus for levels other than 100. This change would give breeders a chance to make some mediocre money.

To sum up what I've suggested in an easy-to-understand list:
  • Triple legend and ultra beast prices (and have the others scale with the change).
  • Create custom base prices for normal Pokémon (Magikarp 35 while Garchomp is 250 as an example).
  • Make the level of the Pokémon give a bonus even if not at 100.
  • Add a price for the evolution and if no evolution line then base it off of rarity.

Leave some comments if you have something to add or disagree with. I am way too lazy to proofread.

Thank you,
Milo

Attachments

• s1.PNG
    s1.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 112
  • s2.PNG
    s2.PNG
    10.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

DartPokeMM

Administrator
ADMIN
LEGACY
DONOR
Considering how much people are willing to pay for legends that are less-sought or are outright made unpopular (poor Entei), this doesn't sound like that bad of an idea. I'll break your ending list down individually so I can hopefully both better digest it, and better respond to each concern. And as a note, I will be speaking as a player and community member for the remainder of this, and not as a member of staff - there's no guarantees that what I will be saying will be definitive changes. And for those that just want my take and not the details, I will highlight them.

As I opened with, this doesn't sound like a bad idea. It makes it so it's a little more rewarding to get less-than-ideal spawns for repeat spawns, especially considering that not everyone may want to keep trying to GTS sell a Legend/Ultra Beast, It's also not going to ever overpower the player economy part of the server, as players will almost always certainly buy Legends and Ultra Beasts for more than what STS could provide. A tripling across the board may not be the best, but the "Base Price" and/or "Legendary" values could be raised.

While scaling off "viability" and "rarity" is ideal, it comes with caveats and exceptions. Garchomp - like provided in the example - can be caught at the Safari Zone with limited difficulty. While perhaps not exactly what you seek, I would recommend in it's place a base price that scales only off it's evolutionary stage. Basic Pokémon - those that are the first in their evolutionary line, or are the only Pokémon in their evolutionary line (I.e. Durant) - have one price. 1st Stage Pokémon being the Pokémon that evolve from Basics, and 2nd Stage Pokémon being ones that evolve from 1st Stage ones. It rewards players for training Pokémon - especially if they breed them, to maximize profit.

I flat-out agree with this last one. It could be a linear value (1 coin at level 1, 2 coins at level 2, 3 coins at level 3...), or to promote training more, a value system that rewards you with more the more trained a Pokémon is (1 coins each level for levels 1-10, 2 each level for 11-20, etc.). This can really benefit new players, as they can have a Pokémon they caught early on be trained up, and sell it when they get a new and better version of that Pokémon, or when they simply don't want it anymore.

Since I've exhausted the small list, I do want to comment that while I wish HA gave more from STS, it'd be easy to make it worth too much, as once you get one non-legendary HA Pokémon, in most cases you can breed them. People that have large breeding areas could easily turn them into extremely profitable money farms, which is a bit less than ideal. The same applies for IVs.

In short, I think your suggestion is on a good path. I may not agree 1:1 with it, but I agree with the concept of it. It's been ~6 months since this was last visited, and with tournaments possibly making a come-back, I think boosts to STS would help some players get the money they would need to purchase whatever they may need in the event of non-random tournaments. Also, please excuse me if this has come out kind of gibberish; I am a bit tired at the time of posting after thinking over each section several times.

raystriker269

MOD
LEGACY
LEGEND
DONOR
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your suggestion but I do just want to add that when i made the initial prices STS was designed to be a way to earn a lil bit of money selling unwanted pokemon, it was not designed to be a new source of sustainable income

Miiilo

LEGEND
DONOR
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with your suggestion but I do just want to add that when i made the initial prices STS was designed to be a way to earn a lil bit of money selling unwanted pokemon, it was not designed to be a new source of sustainable income
I searched for a few minutes and found this message from Mike. From what I can recall, Brad was also telling us about STS back in the day, but I can't be asked to search for that long.
sts1.PNG

I feel like anyone who has ever used this function can tell you that it isn't a "real new form of money making."

We were promised that STS would be a new form of money making, which kind of implies that it would be a viable way of making money. What we were given was not that. Reading "the real new form of money making" when getting hints for months before release makes STS sound like a competing way of making money other than mining or selling on GTS. What we have is underwhelming and rarely used as a way of making money. The only time I have ever used it was to clear out my PC a little faster than just deleting the Pokémon. I'm not saying it's your fault at all, I just believe that STS was overhyped and overrepresented in a way. Trust me when I say that I am trying my best to write this in a way that doesn't seem like I'm trying to start an argument. I just want the server to be enjoyable for everyone, including me.

Miiilo

LEGEND
DONOR
While scaling off "viability" and "rarity" is ideal, it comes with caveats and exceptions. Garchomp - like provided in the example - can be caught at the Safari Zone with limited difficulty. While perhaps not exactly what you seek, I would recommend in it's place a base price that scales only off it's evolutionary stage. Basic Pokémon - those that are the first in their evolutionary line, or are the only Pokémon in their evolutionary line (I.e. Durant) - have one price. 1st Stage Pokémon being the Pokémon that evolve from Basics, and 2nd Stage Pokémon being ones that evolve from 1st Stage ones. It rewards players for training Pokémon - especially if they breed them, to maximize profit.
I agree with everything else you have responded with, but this part is a little off to me. I honestly think evolution stage should be its own category while the base price is a little more customized. The exceptions can be accounted for and the prices wouldn't need to technically increase by much at all. Rarity and viability are both major parts of each and every Pokémon and should not be ignored. For example, placing Durant (relatively rare) and Magikarp (very common) in the same price grouping is just wrong in my opinion. Each Pokémon is given a rarity on the Pixelmon Wiki and is very easily accessible. When I was explaining rarity, taking into account most exceptions that I could remember, I was really just giving a super vague example.

Mike5357

Owner
OWNER
STS has received a buff, increasing Base Pokémon prices, Shiny Pokémon prices, Special Textured Pokémon prices, Legendary Pokémon prices, Ultrabeast Pokémon prices, IV prices, and HA prices